Saturday, March 20, 2010

Contemporary Art Museum


Greetings all! I admit, I have been entirely negligent about posting. Forgive me.

First of all my actual job, teaching, is off to a nice start. I am finally learning my students names and trying to build up a little rapport with each class. Some students have a tendency to think they can just do whatever they want when a native english teacher is teaching. They can be really disrespectful and take advantage of that fact that you don't know what they are saying when they speak in Korean (which is not allowed in class). I have been trying to get to know my students personally by asking about their hobbies and such. They also like to ask me all kinds of questions about my love life, eating habits and family. I don't mind answering. I do this in the hopes that they might be inclined to be more respectful of a teacher who they like and feel cares about them and is interested in them a people. We will see if it works.

One of my favorite things is when I get new student. Unless they already have an English name I get to choose one for them (well, they choose but I give them the options)!! I have named a Paul, Chris and Calvin. They are already 3 of my favorite students.

Today we went to the National Museum of Contemporary Art. It is not far from where we live and was free so why not. The weather today was what I call "a Seattle day" because it was overcast, looking like it could possibly rain, windy and mildly cold. Totally like a fall day in Seattle.

Anyways, when we got out of the subway we went to find the shuttle bus to the museum. Once we exited the unusually quiet subway area the street above was oddly deserted as well. There was hardly another person around. The wind was strong today, we could just hear it howling as we made our way to the shuttle. We eventually got on a train that took us to the museum. We were literally the only people on the train. There was also a tram to the museum but we decided we would probably freeze to death if we took it. Well, on our train ride we saw one lone person bravely riding it in the freezing howling wind. I seriously felt like I was in the Twilight Zone or something. We made it to the museum and it was very interesting and fun to spend the afternoon looking at art. I wish I could take photos of the art inside but no such luck.

Naturally the order of these photos is messed up, but I'll explain best as I can.

Out front of the entrance. Not getting very far guys.
These are two of my coworkers. Amy is waving and Deborah is trudging on forward.
There was an outdoor sculpture garden. This is part of it.

And here we have more out door sculpture. (Thats the tram in the background)
This dude was set up with some serious speakers and stuff. He sang and his arms and mouth moved. It sounded really cool actually mostly because you could also hear the wind sailing through the bridge in the background and the water falling.
See what I mean! No people!

On our way back we were just about to sit down and wait in the bitter cold and wind for the train back toward the subway when a lady drives up and offers us a ride! Sweet! We totally took it!

No comments:

Post a Comment